Today is February 2nd. In the U.S. we call it Groundhog Day. In England, it is known as Candlemas Day. There is an old English saying:
"If Candlemas Day be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight
But if Candlemas Day be clouds and rain
Winter is gone and will not come again."
If that saying and the Groundhog legend are true, we should be heading for spring weather as I awoke to rain that is expected to continue most of the day.
Whatever it says on the calendar, February 2nd will always be special to me because it is my mother's birthday and this year would be her 100th birthday.
Claire Pickering
She passed away just shy of her 50th birthday when I was age sixteen. I miss her still and always will, every day in every way. Almost two decades ago, I wrote the following poem that still rings true today.
My Mother’s Daughter
I am my mother’s daughter
Cut from the same bolt of cloth
I’ve lived the life of her dreams
While she lived the dreams I’ve lost
As I approach the age
At which she died so young
I feel the circle is complete
Our two lives have made a whole one



No comments:
Post a Comment